Re: 答复: comments of Network Information API

On 03/30/2012 04:01 AM, Niklas Widell wrote:
> Yes, but definitely to different degrees. I think "Joe the average user"
> might understand that geoloc is something that might be sensitive, while
> for e.g. Taking informed decision on exposing network type probably would
> confuse even "Jane the advanced and knowledgeable user". In fact that is
> probably the biggest issue with prompting that it cannot express degrees
> of risk.

We could probably fix that with good wordings. At least, it sounds possible.

However, there is a big issue with prompting: that annoys users and web
developers know that, so as soon as there will be a prompt involved,
they consider if the feature is really needed and if there isn't an
alternative. For example, AFAIK, some websites are using localstorage
instead of indexeddb even if the target are browsers supporting
indexeddb because localstorage never prompts.
That means a website will do its best to not use this API if it has to
show a prompt. And that API is here to improve the user experience in a
way that might be invisible to most users which means a website will
very easily consider not using the feature instead of showing a prompt
that users will always see.

--
Mounir