Re: Web Intents for local network services - Clarification on browser UPnP support

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 08:59:37 +0100, Nilsson, Claes1
<Claes1.Nilsson@sonymobile.com> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi, since I'm not at the meeting allow me to ask few questions

> Based on the questions I got related to the presentation (
> http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebIntents/SonyMobile_-_Local_Network_Service_Discovery
> ) and demo ("Light bulb discovery and control) that I showed at the
> ongoing Shenzhen meeting I would like to clarify how I envision the
> browser's UPnP support should look like.
>
> The "Light bulb" demo was run in the Chrome browser and we use a upnp
> plugin that provides a JS API.

When you say "plugin" you mean a NPAPI plugin?

> We are also experimenting with a similar API for the Android browser.
> This API provides a UPnP/SSDP search method with three parameters,
> service type, success callback and error callback.The success callback
> is invoked for each UPnP/SSDP service discovered or lost and all
> contains the received SSDP M-Search response headers. From the LOCATION
> header the Device/Service description document could be retrieved.

How does this differ form the API proposed in [1] ?

> Subsequent control communication with the service device is then
> performed by the Web Intents Client page or Service page (depending on
> UX and Service implementation solution used) through xhr or web sockets.

So, is the Service Page fetched from a web server on the actual device (or
a proxy on the network)? Or is something generated by the browser?

/g

[1] http://people.opera.com/richt/release/specs/discovery/Overview.html

--
Giuseppe Pascale