From: SULLIVAN, BRYAN L [mailto:bs3131@att.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2012 3:22 PM
To: Sun, Dan; 'public-device-apis@w3.org'
Subject: RE: Network Information API

Dan,
Those characteristics were originally in scope for the API (at least when it was part of the System Info API), but removed in the process of switching from the programmatic-style APIs (more focused on installed apps e.g. Widgets as in BONDI/WAC) to the browser-compatible APIs that we currently have (not needing a permissions framework, thus providing access to a much more limited set of attributes).

We believe those characteristics are still quite important and support their inclusion in some API, but that may have to occur through the SysApps WG now. For the meantime, the API initiatives outside W3C (e.g. WAC, Tizen, etc) continue to provide good examples of how those attributes can be exposed:
http://specs.wacapps.net/devicestatus/index.html
https://developer.tizen.org/documentation (see the SystemInfo API)

Thanks,
Bryan Sullivan