Re: [MEDIACAPTURE] Why is the capture attribute merely a hint for the UA?

From: Anssi Kostiainen <anssi.kostiainen@nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 10:39:34 +0300
Cc: "public-device-apis@w3.org" <public-device-apis@w3.org>
To: ext Tobie Langel <tobie@fb.com>
Hi Tobie, All,

On 12.6.2012, at 14.56, ext Tobie Langel wrote:

> In [HTML Media Capture], section 5.1 Attributes, it is stated that "The
> capture attribute is used as a hint to the user agent to invoke a file
> picker of a specific capture control type."
>
> I searched through the mailing list's archives and couldn't find an
> explanation of why a more binding requirement wasn't picked instead (RFC
> 2119, SHOULD comes to mind).

The intended behavior is similar to that of the accept attribute [accept]. To align more closely with that language, we could change the sentence to:

[[

The capture attribute MAY be specified to provide user agents with a hint of a preferred capture control type for a file picker.

]]

Or something along those lines -- feel free to suggest a better wording.

> Was that already brought up on the list or in meetings?

The draft dating back to 2010 talks about hinting in non-RFC terms, so it may well be. Unfortunately I'm unable to locate a reference.

> If not, would that be something the group would be willing to consider?

All - Let us know if there are any concerns in changing the normative prose as outlined above.

Tobie - Thanks for the review!

-Anssi

[accept] http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/states-of-the-type-attribute.html#attr-input-accept