RE: [html-media-capture] capture vs. accept

Tobie wrote:
> How so? How is that different from a TEXTAREA compared to an INPUT[type=file][accept="text/plain"]?

textarea [1] predates input[type=file] [2]

> I haven't heard anyone complain TEXTAREA's are an intrusion of the author into user space, yet it's clearly expressing the desire of the author to prefer content written on the spot rather than picked from the file system.

In the case of other input types, UAs have provided completion/form fill wizards. Textarea has unfortunately not benefitted from this to the same extent.

> That's not necessarily true. The real reason authors ask for these features are to improve
> the user's experience by making sure the operating system's UI matches the application's
> context and the user's intent.

If UAs improved on their own to do the right thing (as our widgets already do), then there would be no need to ask for something in rare occasions because the right thing would always happen. This is a case of backseat driving.

> Consider the following scenarios:
> 1. John wants to sell furniture he owns online. He previously took pictures with his camera
> and uploads them as required.

> He then realizes he forgot to take a picture of the kitchen table.
> He just switches to the camera mode of the file picker and snatches a picture.

He can do that today with our app

> Here, accept="image/*" makes perfect sense.

Correct.

> 2. Anna is hiking at sunset. The scenery is beautiful and she wants to share it with her family.
> She navigates to her preferred camera web app and snatches a picture.
> Here, capture=camera makes perfect sense.

Not any more so than just accept="image/*". She can just as easily snap a picture without it.
A smart UA will learn that on her camera web app she prefers to use the camera source for accept="image/*", there's no need for the web page to say anything beyond accept="image/*".