Re: [vibra] Vibration API

Your two layer approach looks sensible to me. As with Sensors and in order
to inform the spec process I intend to do some prototyping using Galaxy S
and the Touch Sense technology from Immmersion. Once I have results I can
show them to the group.

best

El 14/10/11 12:19, "Anssi Kostiainen" <anssi.kostiainen@nokia.com>
escribió:

>[ -cc public-webevents^1 ]
>
>Hi Jose, All,
>
>On 13.10.2011, at 20.29, ext JOSE MANUEL CANTERA FONSECA wrote:
>
>> I think Vibration should be considered under a more general topic which
>>is
>> 'Haptic Feedback'.
>>
>> One example is the technology from Immersion [1] (present in some
>>devices
>> like Galaxy S) that allows to provide more elaborated Haptic feedback to
>> the user, than the old 'beep', 'beep' thing.
>

>It is good you brought this up, because I believe we have to be smart
>about how we layer these things so that they work seamlessly and
>logically together.
>
>My initial thinking is we should start with narrower scope and broaden
>from there. In v1 I'd prefer to specify what is more broadly supported
>today, and only in v2 delve into the rest of the sensory modalities. It
>is also worth noting that the group is explicitly chartered to define "an
>API to manage vibration".
>
>I was thinking of the following split to make this palatable:
>
>* Vibration API (v1)
>
>Custom vibration effects (duration, strength etc. can be defined). High
>value use cases e.g. in gaming. This is what Mozilla's "WebVibrator"
>proposal is about.
>
>foo.vibrate({duration: 1000, strength: 100});
>
>* Haptic Feedback API (v2)
>
>This would be further split in to two:
>
>i) Abstract pre-defined haptic feedback effects such as tap, long press
>etc. The haptic technology used would be an implementation detail. Some
>platforms already give this type of feedback on actionable web controls,
>and this potential API should not interfere with that. This could be
>perhaps bound to ARIA roles.
>
>foo.giveFeedback({type: 'tap'});
>
>ii) Custom haptic feedback effects (use case example: let's say you want
>to develop an oven app, and want your virtual oven to feel hot when
>touched).
>
>foo.giveFeedback({type: 'custom', temperature: 50 /* ... */});
>
>Does this approach sound reasonable? Any feedback is welcome. And I'd
>especially like to hear your favorite use cases at this point.
>
>[The method signatures are just placeholders, so let's not go down to
>those details yet.]
>
>-Anssi
>
>^1 It was proposed we should use public-device-apis ML for related
>discussions going forward.

This message is intended exclusively for its addressee. We only send and receive email on the basis of the terms set out at.