Re: First test cases for Contacts API; JavaScript-based prototype

On May/24/2011 4:22 AM, ext Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> As per my ACTION-298, I have started working on a test suite for our
> Contacts API; I have developed so far 7 simple test cases, available at:
> http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/contacts/tests/test-cases/
>
> Note that if you don't have a system supporting navigator.contacts,
> these test cases won't give any useful result (but see below on
> prototype implementation.)
>
> The tests use the HTML/WebApps Test Harness [1] as we had agreed on. The
> tests that look at the returned data rely on contacts data that need to
> be imported before running the test suites and which are linked (as
> vcard data) from the relevant test cases.

Excellent Dom!

> Unsurprisingly, I've found some bugs in the spec while developing the
> test cases and the implementation; I wonder if I should send them now or
> as part of the Last Call period.

Now ;).

> Also, I went with dev.w3.org as a repository to host the test suite, but
> the others groups are using the mercurial-based decentralized versioning
> control system at dvcs.w3.org (with a visible check-out at
> w3c-test.org); I think it would make sense to align with that, but since
> that involves using another system, I didn't want to proceed with that
> without some notion on how confident potential test contributors would
> feel with that.

Unless the group is already heavily invested in CVS, I think there are
many benefits of using Mercurial (as is now done by at least the HTML WG
and WebApps). I tend to view DAP test suites as falling under the Open
Web Platform and as such, my preference would be to minimize the
differences with the other groups' testing infrastructure choices.

-AB