Re: [mobile-web] Detecting non-mobile browsers using regex at web-server. Reliable?

Sorry for the cross posting...but I think this is an important
discussion that crosses over the DAPI group too.  I think the w3c would
be interested in debate around the OneWeb definition too...see full
thread at the bottom.

On Tue, 2011-03-29 at 11:27 -0600, Peter Cranstone wrote:
> As for the database comment. Let’s think about it another way which
> everyone is familiar with - “an app for that”. Here’s the “thought
> experiment”.

Yeah...I think that's a better positioning based on where everyone's
head is at...but obviously would need to be set deeper into the browser
or phone OS to be truly useful.

> All I’ve done above is to describe something similar to the DAPI but
> with even more context.

Yep...and I agree it has to happen in one way or another.  I think the
graded control that OAuth can provide is exactly this type of
model...and that's already achieved wide adoption.

I think combining it with a server side (I refuse to use the word cloud)
data stores that you can also control makes it really useful.  Then you
can turn on and off the permission you have given to third parties to
use your data.  And best of all you'd get a full audit trail...and the
app could alert you when a third party wanted to access some particular
personal information and you could just click "allow or deny".

> There’s no question that it’s going to be done - the question becomes
> “what’s the best approach”. Everybody wants a piece of the consumer.
> The more context you have about them, the more value you can generate.

Absolutely agree.  But I think it's better if this is done at a lower
level than just an app (I know you were just using that as a
metaphor) ...however it is a real point of difference that browser
vendors could use to show users they're better/different by integrating
with this type of model.

>  You would not believe what Google’s Android browser is already
> sending back to HQ.

I know...and it's not a good thing.  I'm surprised it hasn't gotten as
much attention as the streetview mac address sniffing did.

roBman