Re: Agenda - Distributed Meeting 2011-01-12

Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com a écrit :

> > 6) Messaging API
> >
> > Publish update?
>
> +1 as well.
>
> Dom

I can say for certain that it would be a bad idea to hard code specific
technologies, in this case SMS, Email or MMS in to the Web Platform in the
long term. While SMS is ubiquitous today who knows how long it will really
stick around. Also, MMS is a dubious technology to include even today
considering usage.

Instead, a Messaging API should be more bus-like to allow the creation of
formatted messages. Considering we already have sms, mmsto and mailto urls
for launching a messaging composer (and prefilling the fields) and also that
simple web APIs can accomplish the sending aspects, I don't see any need for
this API.

Besides all of these objections I don't see how the Messaging API is
workable in the browser-context. What is the intended user experience, if
there is one? The API as designed seems to rely on prompting and
permissioning. It needs to work without such assumptions considering that it
may be developed without having this magical, fix-all crutch to lean on.

- Rich