Re: Difference between device element and Media Capture API

On 02/22/11 10:02, Ilkka Oksanen wrote:
> Hi René,
>
> 14/02/2011 20:07, ext René Müller wrote:
>> Where is the difference between the device element in the HTML
>> specification, the aims of the Media Capture API and the HTML Media
>> Capture Specification??? Isn´t it all handling the same problem?
> In essence all these specifications are solving the problem of device
> camera and/or microphone access. Difference between them is how that is
> achieved. You can consider HTML Media Capture as a low hanging fruit. It
> is relatively easy for browsers to implement. Likewise very small
> changes are needed to new and existing web services to take it into use.
> HTML Media Capture is meant to be kept as simple as it is now. Device
> element is more of a new concept.
>
> The Media Capture API follows the other JavaScript DAP apis. It gives
> more control to the web developer. New features can be added in the
> future in a straightforward way.
>
> There has been some discussion in DAP regarding the relationship between
> <device>  element and DAP specifications. So far no concrete actions have
> been taken as a result of those discussions.
The RTCWEB effort has a requirement to capture media too, with special
requirements (such as codec negotiation ability and no more than tens of
msec from sound to net-packet and net-packet to sound).

Evaluating existing APIs is pretty high on my TODO list for RTCWEB/WEBRTC.

                   Harald