Re: The Wider Web (was: Rechartering Device APIs & Policy Working Group)

I can also say re "Taking vertical solutions and claiming they work
everywhere doesn't work — it has to actually be true" that forcing solutions
that only work in horizontal domains onto every market that intersects that
horizontal domain doesn't work either. Either the depth of the horizontal
domain needs to be expanded ("wider" in my expression), or we face the
unenviable situation for developers that they will have to support two
different API design and security models. We owe it to the market (yes I do
like that word - it pays my bills) to do our best to address this challenge,
and not to take the easy way out (for us) of running to our separate corners
and reassuring ourselves that at least we are serving the most important
part of the market.

I think the shifts in DAP's focus, especially in the last year, speak for
themselves re adherence to the course.

We should be careful of claiming what will or "won't be Web technology".
Adoption defines what "will be", and I would place very strong bets on the
adoption of the same API design and security design model submitted to DAP
as BONDI.

We joined DAP with the same objective as joining the MWI and Webapps - to
aid in the development of standards for context-adaptive Web technology. We
do have a primary context in mind (mobile), just as desktop browser vendors
do (general purpose computing platforms). Saying that any Web technology has
to have no more specialization that is necessary for use in a general
purpose computing platform clearly draws a line between market segments. IMO
that is an unnecessary and unhelpful distinction, as diversity is inherent,
and adaptability to diversity is achievable.