From: public-device-apis-request@w3.org [mailto:public-device-apis-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Rich Tibbett
Sent: den 8 februari 2011 13:42
To: Dominique Hazael-Massieux
Cc: public-device-apis
Subject: Re: Rechartering Device APIs & Policy Working Group

This initial proposal looks good. Here are some thoughts on the proposed charter:

- We still need to define the scope of the deliverables (Section 3) a bit better. We have quite a number of deliverables on the list. We want to get these things implemented and having a laser focus on things that are implementable might be a really good start. Also, we have to keep things as simple as possible. For example, instead of jumping straight to generic events there's a lot of value in specifying well-defined sensor events initially). Below are some thoughts per item on the charter.

Section 3:

Work items that I would really like to see included in the charter:

A1. Sensor Events: reworking the System Info API to a set of well-defined sensors based on reusing the events model of the Orientation API (). Initially focused on a well-defined list of sensors (such as termperature, light, proximity, noise, pressure, etc) and then potentially exploring extensibility and sensor discoverability as a future work item.

A2. Media Streaming: the DAP activity should pick up some of the slack from this RTC-Web initiative and/or coordinate with the RTC-Web initiative on additional specifications required. Actually, it's going to be important to clearly delineate the RTC-Web and DAP deliverables but DAP has a significant part to play in this work.

A3. HTML Media Capture: let's continue to move the HTML Media Capture spec through the W3C process: http://www.w3.org/TR/capture-api/

A4. PIM APIs (minus tasks). These are intended for more longer term consideration and implementation. I don't expect full browser support while browser vendors are still focused on implementing more prioritized HTML5 features. We can also do a number of things without implementing the full API in lack of widespread support. However, it may be possible to move these through the W3C process based on implementations that we already have and other implementations that will come online during the chartered term. 'Tasks' seems to be a very low priority compared to Contacts, and to a lesser extent, Calendar.

A5. Context Menus API: The ability to create menus that apply to defined user agent contexts (e.g. address bar menus, right-click menus for images/video/text, speed dial menus, etc). An example of the type of API in mind is available here: http://www.opera.com/docs/apis/extensions/backgroundprocessguide/#bp23. Opera also have a full W3C-style specification ready to go for kicking off this work (if it gets adopted in to the charter).

Work items that I don't think we should put in to our charter initially due to implementation concerns (interface, technical, political):

B1. Messaging API: we have sms, mmsto and mailto URIs that are sufficient for adding messaging in to our products without the need of an additional API. In the future we could look at developing extensions to e.g. XHR for advanced messaging features (success/error callbacks, attachments) but this is not the initial priority. The first step is to integrate communication services in to browsers and we don't need a new API for this purpose.

B2. Capture API: The jury is still out on whether its necessary for a web app to be able to programmatically capture audio, video and images from a user's device. The UI for these interactions is a little painful and we have other methods (e.g. the HTML Media Capture spec for this purpose).

B3. Application Launcher API: Custom URL schemes and URL resource mime types launch native apps, not APIs.

B4. Communication Log API: I can't find any significant use cases for providing the communication log to web apps. If necessary, a communication log can be uploaded by the user as a file or mounted via the File System API for the web app to access.

B5. Gallery API: Both the File API and File System API promise to deliver functionality similar to this proposal. It's not core enough to get wide implementation IMO.

Work items that might be potential work items to live under the new charter:

C1. File System API: While file system fits well in the WebApps group, the File System API is really suited to fall under our charter.

C2. HTML <device>: Initially incubated on the DAP mailing lists (with Hixie), it might be nice to push forward development of this stuff in W3C via DAP (though see my discussion on the relationship of the new DAP group with the RTC-Web initiative above). FWIW, this is not specified in the W3C's HTML5 snapshot since it is a current work item in WHATWG. It might be nice to give <device> a home in W3C DAP (or coordinate how that will work with the RTC group if/when it gets chartered).

Other comments on the charter proposal:

- Remove the requirements for the delete paradigm from our APIs. Simply, we have yet to work out a way to represent delete in the UA while additional non-web interfaces, such as management consoles and configuration windows, are a much better way to provide delete functionality that the user controls.

- We don't need to publish a Working Group Note on the Design Patterns that we choose (included in Section 3.2: Other deliverables). Design Patterns vary depending on the problem put in front of us. There is likely not a single design pattern for all of our deliverables.

That's it for now. Any feedback is appreciated.

- Rich