Re: First draft of "MediaStream Capture Scenarios" now available

On 12/06/2011 02:45 AM, Travis Leithead wrote:
> As per my Action 461 [1], and as requested by this task force, I've put together the first draft of the scenarios for media capture [2].
Thanks a lot!
> This draft is a combination of scenarios mingled with some commentary, issues, and points of discussion.
Actually, I'm a bit disappointed with the scenarios part of this; there
are a lot of cases (rewind, take snapshot and so on) that I'd recognize
as scenarios / use cases, but they are not called out to a degree where
I can recognize them as specific scenarios; they are rather buried
within the commentary.

Would it be possible to pull out the specific scenarios that you would
like us to support, independent from the possible / current / proposed
implementation descriptions?

Some detailed commentary:

- header: This should be listed as a WEBRTC/DAP task force item, not a
DAP item.
- intro: the use of the word "recording" should be avoided for the
WebRTC scenarios, since the whole subject of recording sessions is still
open in WEBRTC. "Capture" is the most common word, I think.
- 3.1 stream initialization: The result of initialization will have to
be available as a MediaStream. As long as the WebRTC API is totally
dependent on the MediaStream concept, this is not a question. If you
want to suggest other forms of the available capture, those may be
alternatives, or be something that can be converted into a MediaStream,
but current text is too weak on this point.
- 3.2 reinitialization: We (WebRTC editors) have discussed moving the
"ended" event from the MediaStream to the MediaStreamTrack; it seems to
be easier to define it crisply there.
- 3.6.3 It's unclear for me what you are pointing to when you refer to
the WebRTC "take a picture" scenario. I can't find it in our scenarios
document.
- 3.10.1 In a streaming case, you may support rewind through recording
to a tail-drop buffer. So it's not impossible, just complex.