RE: no longer possible to detect battery presence? RE: Battery API in Last Call

You can tell now whether there is a battery or not except when the battery is full.  So there is just a window when you don't know - when apps are told they are charging when they actually are discharging.  So I don't think it has anything to do with privacy.

If you have a full battery and disconnect your power source,  the spec says to report that the battery is charging --  even though it really is discharging.