Re: Contacts API -- formatted

Andreas Gal wrote:
> Several classes implement a formatted field that is defined as:
>
> This attribute contains the full physical address including street, locality, region, postalCode, and country as appropriate, and formatted for display.
>
> Is this supposed to be active (e.g. if I change region on an address, it automatically updates), or is this a snapshot?
>
> If we allow diverging formatting, writing these objects back (assuming we do add an edit feature) becomes pretty confusing. If we don't plan on adding edit, why are these fields not readonly?
>
> Andreas
>
> [NoInterfaceObject]
> interface
> ContactAddress
>   {
>      attribute boolean    pref;
>      attribute DOMString? type;
>      attribute DOMString? formatted;
>      attribute DOMString? streetAddress;
>      attribute DOMString? locality;
>      attribute DOMString? region;
>      attribute DOMString? postalCode;
>      attribute DOMString? country;
> };

We discussed making this read-only with optimisations to make it reflect
the values of the other attributes. We made a resolution to drop
formatted in the 18th July teleconf [1].

This has already been updated in the editor's draft:

http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/contacts/

[1] http://www.w3.org/2011/07/19-dap-minutes.html#item06