Re: Future of Media Capture API

Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Our lack of progress on the Media Capture API is creating confusion.
>
> My understanding is that:
> * there is interest around the features provided by such an API, i.e.
> the ability to get recorded media without having to deal with media
> streams (which Web RTC would be providing);
>
> * we have a prototype implementation for IE9
>
> * we don't have active editors
>
> * we're lacking a feedback loop with implementors
>
> We have basically two options:
> * abandoning it entirely, in which case we should publish an update both
> on dev.w3.org and TR to make that clear,
> * keeping it, in which case we need at least one active editor, and
> implementors feedback if possible.

If this specification is about exposing the native controls and
providing a stream from that control back to the web page in real time
then it might be interesting. It isn't entirely clear from the
specification whether that is the purpose though (honestly, I thought it
was about accessing the webcam/microphone programmatically...which is
still think it is...). Also, considering that opening the native
controls would push the web page to the background while the live stream
is being recorded in that native UI doesn't really lend itself to good
interaction. What's the objective in that case?