Re: Updated draft charter

On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 16:58 +0200, Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> Hi Dave,

> > > It's probably too broad, indeed; I'm hoping someone can help refining it
> > > into something more specific. Claes maybe? Dave?
> >
> > The term "nearby" is probably too broad as we are not thinking about it
> > in the sense of geolocation, but rather for devices and services exposed
> > by the same device, or devices connected to it on the local area
> > network, or directly connected through USB and Bluetooth. If you think
> > it would help we could cite mDNS, SSDP and SLP as examples of discovery
> > techniques that could be exposed. Note that devices on the local area
> > network are only discoverable if they are so configured. If you don't
> > want others to discover your device or service, don't advertise it!
>
> Could you provide specific text that I could integrate in the charter?

From the charter it seems you only want a single sentence, so how about:

  An API to discover devices and services on the same device, on the
local network, or directly connected, e.g. by USB and Bluetooth.

Is that sufficient?

Do we also want to include a bullet point on an API for advertising
services exposed by web applications?  For example, you could have a
gaming app implemented as HTML5 that allows gamers to find each other
for an online game without the need for a server.

p.s. A working (open source) demo available will be ready in the next
few days.