Re: Widgets - WARP, Widgets Updates and Digital Signatures

Hi - just wanted to note that Mozilla Labs people are here and listening.

There are people in the labs group that are very interested in web application deployment into the main browser context.  We are not particularly focused on "widgets" per se (as has been noted there are many runtimes for those, including Mozilla-platform-derived ones), but we have noted the trend of full-browser-window applications and are thinking about what it means.

Claes' note of Sep 10 [1], summarized the questions that we're thinking about nicely.

I would say that our current leaning is towards the HTML5 feature stack, with AppCache, local storage/indexedDB, and CORS/postMessage playing prominent roles.  My current feeling is that widgets that are stored "forever" are better suited for a widget runtime than a general browser.  That suggests that packaging will play a smaller role on the browser UA since we will largely be working with manifests.  API and network access permissioning at install time makes a lot of sense, as does integration with UX elements that help users manage a multi-application environment (pinned tabs, notifications, etc.).  I have a personal interest in identity systems and would also like to see whether we can simplify application-identity management at this level.

Marcos - the Widget Landscape document [2] identifies the difference between Widget user agents and general browsers - but would you highlight any of the widget specs as solving as-yet-untackled problems in the general-browser application space?

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Sep/0049.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets-land/

-Michael
--
Michael Hanson, Mozilla Labs (@michaelrhanson)

On Sep 16, 2010, at 5:30 PM, Marcos Caceres wrote:

> Hi Nathan,
>
> On 9/16/10 7:38 PM, Nathan wrote:
>> Marcos Caceres wrote:

>>> Ah! ok. I get it now. No, that won't work right now (actually, that's
>>> how we run them in our development environment for testing purposes :)
>>> ). But that is trivial and no one has really asked for that.

<snip>