Re: Phono — potential use case

Hi Neil,

On Oct 28, 2010, at 12:50 , Neil Stratford wrote:
> Phono is one of our products at Voxeo that we have just launched in beta.

Duh! I hadn't seen "Voxeo" in the footer, sorry!

> (especially IETF and W3C -- Dan Burnett, our Director of Standards and Speech Technologies at Voxeo, is chair of the HTML Speech Incubator and Voice Browser Working Groups and will be at TPAC next week and IETF 79 the following week.)

Potential points of integration with Speech are definitely an item of interest. I wonder if it would be interesting to have a brief introduction to it for the DAP WG? Not an entire session as we already have a lot crammed into two days, but perhaps a quick overview so that people are equipped to find out more if they want to?

> Most of the current Phono implementation is actually already in javascript - the call signaling is all carried using XMPP over BOSH direct from javascript. For the initial release we used flash as a mechanism to gain access to the microphone and stream audio, but we intend to support multiple mechanisms going forward (java is in the pipeline) and ultimately use whatever the browser can make available to us. There are more details of our current implementation here:
> http://blog.phono.com/2010/10/25/behind-the-phone/

That's very interesting. If you can think of any specific part of DAP's work that could help with better browser integration, we're all ears. Also, I know several people on this list are looking at the RTC WG (unfortunately I couldn't make it to the workshop) but it's one more thing to track and we're bound to miss stuff, so if there's anything worth noticing we'd love to get updates!

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/