Re: window.open() and popup blockers (was: Agenda - Distributed Meeting 2010-09-29)

On Sep 29, 2010, at 19:57 , Anssi Kostiainen wrote:
> The spec does not seem to whitelist any user-initiated events or say anything about script-initiated invocation. Mozilla whitelists change, click, dblclick, mouseup, reset and submit events by default, these can be configured via about:config > dom.popup_allowed_events [2]. IE6 whitelists click and focus, also user configurable to some extend [3]. Not sure about the rest of the browsers. Is Opera's implementation similar to Mozilla's?
>
> Looks like this is implementation specific and cannot be relied on if left unspecified. Any ideas how to route around this?

It might not be excessively complex to specify. DOM 3 Events gives us trusted events that the UA knows come from interaction. That's half the problem. The other half is whitelisting events (while allowing the UA to add more to the list if it's confident that they'd work fine), I'm guessing click, dblclick, and submit always make sense, that touchstart or an equivalent would be good, and that DOMActivate (if supported) is a good candidate.

--
Robin Berjon
  robineko — hired gun, higher standards