Re: window.open() and popup blockers

Anssi Kostiainen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 29.9.2010, at 18.30, ext Ilkka Oksanen wrote:
>
>> 29/09/2010 01:58, ext Rich Tibbett kirjoitti:
>>> It's similar to window.open() and browser popup blockers. If
>>> window.open() is called inline then the user is notified that the
>>> popup was blocked. If window.open() is called via a user-initiated
>>> click event, the popup is opened directly.
>>>
>> Do you know if this window.open() behavior is specified somewhere? Or
>> is it completely implementation specific?
>
> Prior to HTML5 window.open() was part of DOM Level 0, i.e. something implemented by Netscape back in the Dark Ages :)
>
> The HTML5 spec seem to only say how to detect a blocked window [1]: "The [open()] method must return the WindowProxy object of the browsing context that was navigated, or null if no browsing context was navigated".
>
> The spec does not seem to whitelist any user-initiated events or say anything about script-initiated invocation. Mozilla whitelists change, click, dblclick, mouseup, reset and submit events by default, these can be configured via about:config>  dom.popup_allowed_events [2]. IE6 whitelists click and focus, also user configurable to some extend [3]. Not sure about the rest of the browsers. Is Opera's implementation similar to Mozilla's?

Opera's implementation is similar to Mozilla but not user configurable
(AFAIK).

> Looks like this is implementation specific and cannot be relied on if left unspecified. Any ideas how to route around this?

I have added a section to the Contacts API spec entitled 'API Invocation
via DOM Events' + an example of its usage. It is included informatively
and might be worth a read:

http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/contacts/Overview.html#api-invocation-via-dom-events

>> I think the proposal is applicable to the Capture API and its native
>> audio/video recorder as well.

I believe it is.

- Rich