Re: Pre-LC Review Requested: System Information API

why is an array of active connections a problem?

if indeed there is more than one, then you have to be able to refer to the one of interest, which would imply choosing by type or name?

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch, Nokia

On May 18, 2010, at 3:57 PM, ext Alissa Cooper wrote:

> [...]
> }
>
> interface ActiveIPAttributes: SystemProperty {
>        attribute DOMString      address;
> }
>
> interface ActiveSSIDAttributes: SystemProperty {
>        attribute DOMString      id;
> }
>
> interface ActiveOperatorAttributes: SystemProperty {
>     attribute DOMString      apn;
>     attribute DOMString      operatorName;
>     attribute boolean        roaming;
>     attribute unsigned short mcc;
>     attribute unsigned short mnc;
> };
>
> I understand that these aren't the prettiest solutions in the world,
> but I think either would strike a better balance than the editor's
> draft does between giving developers what they might be looking for
> and not giving away too much information needlessly.
>
> Alissa
>
> On May 17, 2010, at 9:45 PM, <Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com> <Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com
>> wrote:
>
>> Alissa
>>
>> Thanks for the comments. It seems we still have the following steps
>> before Last Call of SysInfo:
>>
>> 1 Add a note to the draft regarding the risk of fingerprinting. (I
>> thought I saw this before but now cannot find it)
>>
>> 2 Restore the original privacy text, (all or a portion of it, in
>> addition to the new note)
>>
>> 3 deal with privacy concerns you note regarding the network property
>>
>> At a minimum, the attributes listed after currentSignalStrength
>> should probably each have a note that user consent is required to
>> share due to the fact that they can identify the user:
>>
>> macAddress
>> ipAddress
>> ESSID
>> apn
>>

>> The following also probably need such note as well since this again
>> is information that probably is sensitive:
>>
>> operatorName
>> roaming
>>
>> Alissa, do you have any concrete suggestions for changes to the
>> current draft specification?
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-system-info-api-20100202/#network
>>
>> regards, Frederick
>>
>> Frederick Hirsch, Nokia
>> co-chair DAP WG
>>

>> On May 17, 2010, at 12:15 PM, ext Alissa Cooper wrote:
>>
>>> I have some thoughts about this API given the conversations we've had
>>> in this group about data minimization. Viewed one way, this API
>>> doesn't really do much to help developers minimize data collection.
>>> take just one example, consider an app that only needs to know
>>> whether
>>> the device supports multitouch (as in the example in 4.12). The only
>>> way that the app can find this out --
>>> naviagtor.system.get("InputDevices", . . .) -- will return not only a
>>> list of pointingDevices with supportsMultiTouch properties, but also
>>> all of the other InputDevices attributes and all of their properties:
>>> pointingDevices[], activePointingDevices[], keyboards[],
>>> activeKeyboards[], cameras[], activeCameras[], microphones[], and