Re: Introduction, and Mozilla Contacts

Hi Mike,

sorry for not getting back to you earlier, I was AFK.

On May 6, 2010, at 18:51 , Mike Hanson wrote:
> Hello, everybody.  I'm Michael Hanson, an engineer in Mozilla Labs, and the lead developer of the Mozilla Contacts library (which is now available in experimental form for both Firefox and Thunderbird).

Yes, we've been looking at your work with excitement. Welcome!

> As we noted in our Contacts announcement, we are definitely interested in providing feedback from our implementation to the Contacts API group - Arun suggested that I join the list directly and join the conversation.  So here I am!
>
> I had a longish feedback document written up, but then the May 6 draft landed, with a lot of what I would have commented on already done, so I'll have to revise my document.

By all means, don't bother with anything too formal, a braindump of your comments in email would be very useful. But the fact that your initial comments were overtaken by events IMHO shows that we ought to synchronise a bit more. For us, having a tight feedback loop with an implementation of the specification being worked on is a big plus as it provides an immediate reality check. Hopefully it can help with the implementation as well since bugs in the specification are then likely to also be bugs in the implementation (plus, it means less documentation to write ;-). So if there's anything we can do to help there, just tell us.

> But feel free to send me questions, and I look forward to talking with you about the API.

In addition to Richard's questions, I was wondering about read-only vs read-write. I was also curious as to whether you might have thoughts about a similar project for calendaring?

--
Robin Berjon
  robineko — hired gun, higher standards