Re: feedback on The System Information API W3C Editor's Draft 05 May 2010

Hi Mohamed,

On 05/05/2010 19:29, Innovimax SARL wrote:
> Dear,
>

> Here are few comments with respect to http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/system-info/
>
> 1) Why isn't the figure in 4.1 in SVG ?

Because OpenOffice exports svg that doesn't render well in browsers. See
http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/system-info/properties.svg

> 2) Can it be said explicitely that the name of the Property (the
> property ID) is the same as the name of the Interface that the
> onSuccess function will get

No, it's not always true. For instance, property AmbientLight (and all
the other sensors) are based on interface Sensor.

> 2.a) in that case in 4.5: navigator.system.watch("Processing",success)
> ==>  navigator.system.watch("CPU",success)

That's a mistake. I have fixed the example.

> 3) Example in 4.7 feel strange in many ways
>
> // Find if the current connection is WiFi, and if so monitor its signal strength
> navigator.system.get("Network",success,null);
>
> function success(connection) {
> ==>  isn't connection supposed to be an array here ?
>    if (connection.type===connection.TYPE_WIFI)
>      navigator.system.watch("WifiConnection",wifiWatchCB);
> ==>  IS REALLY "WifiConnection" a Property ?
> }
>
> function wifiWatchCB(connection) {
>    document.getElementById(indicator, "Wireless "+connection.essid+" at
> "+(connection.signalStrength*100)+"%");
> ==>  essid doesn't exist : is it supposed to be SSID ?
> ==>  signalStrengh doesn't exist : is it supposed to be currentSignalStrength ?
> }

I clearly haven't been keeping the examples up to date. Sorry about
that. I have corrected it to:

> You probably need to watch all the connections to do what you expect here
>
> 4) In 4.8
>
> navigator.system.watch("AmbientLight",success, {highThreshold: 0.9,
> thresholdTarget:"normalizedValue"});
> ==>
> navigator.system.watch("AmbientLight",success, null, {highThreshold:
> 0.9, thresholdTarget:"normalizedValue"});

Thanks.

> 5) It's probably worth giving real example of values for attributes in
> 4.9 instead of MIDI or AVI for compression format and ogg for
> packaging format

I have put H.264 and Theora for compression, and AVI and Ogg for container.

> 6) Most of the constants values need some rework: they are not all
> mutually exclusive (RAM and HardDisk, TouchScreen and Tablet) and
> there is missing values (Bluetooth for network))

Indeed! Help greatly appreciated.

> 7) Printer could be added to the output devices list, together with
> braille reader and embossed printer

Good point. Would you like to offer a list of properties for each?

> 8) REFERENCES
> * CORE-DEVICE last version is of 5 may
> * CSSOM last version is of 04 August 2009

That's an issue I'll bring to spec-prod: should ReSpec hold dated
versions of items labeled as "work in progress".

Thanks for the feedback,
Max.