Re: Capture API question

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 7:09 AM, Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com> wrote:

> I was looking at the Capture API FPWD and noticed that there is a
> section called "Capture Input Selection"
>
> http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/camera/FPWD.html#formaccess
>
> which shows that most of the functionality provided by the Capture API
> can also be achieved using APIs that already exist in the Web platform
> (i.e. <input>, File, <video>, etc). However, the spec does not have
> any discussion about the reasoning behind adding a new API to do
> something that is already possible....

Real-time streaming instead of device upload from html forms has been
implemented, unlike any of methods in specifications e.g. input
type=file accept=audio.  It is provided by Adobe in Flash instead of
by any of the browsers.  It is necessary for applications such as 8D
World's "Wiz World Online" -- http://www.8dworld.com -- which uses
pronunciation assessment in a real-time multiplayer online roleplaying
game to teach English speech skills.

However, form-based device input and upload should be implemented
because it would save bandwidth for review, and provide an
asynchronous way to send high quality audio and video under limited
bandwidth conditions, especially for mobile devices.