RE: Contacts Saving feature (was RE: Draft minutes 2010-12-15)

Please see below.

Suresh

From: Rich Tibbett [mailto:rich.tibbett@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 4:12 PM
To: Suresh Chitturi
Cc: Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com; public-device-apis@w3.org
Subject: Re: Contacts Saving feature (was RE: Draft minutes 2010-12-15)

Suresh Chitturi wrote:

I read from the minutes that a resolution was taken to eliminate the
contact write altogether. I don't quite agree with the resolution and
because you are essentially not providing a standardized way to
implement write back updated contact information and leaving it to the
implementations.

This resolution is the result of the email thread starting here: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Dec/0009.html.

We have a standardized way to support write back with BlobBuilder (File Writer) and createObjectUrl (File Reader) with the user consenting to the save operation (by click a 'download' link) and the implementation handling the resulting MIME type, either automatically or manually at that point.

Suresh>> true, this is one way but I see two problems with this compared to a direct method 1) you are asking the implementation to create a URL and 2) the write back is handled by the browser application outside the JS environment. The JS approach is much more efficient and direct.

 We talked about the option of contact.save() method that can be
 reasonably invoked with a user consent approach (check box, pop-up,
 etc).

We (still) don't have any reasonable Javascript writeback paradigms for save operations. It would, however, be interesting to hearing about the check box or pop-up ideas if they have not yet been considered.

Suresh>> This is debatable,  there are number of ways UIs can present intuitively to represent “save/delete” operations (e.g. online mail boxes use, pop dialogs)..

 I understand you want to limit the APIs to read only version in
 the first phase but I would like to come back to the save discussions
  and find a way to support it in a standardized way through JS APIs.

The proposed approach, which I'm due to write up in the Contact API spec will allow write back with the method detailed above.

Suresh>> do you mean with .save() method or file/blob write back approach?

- Rich