RE: Review: browser use case; e-mail compatibility? (Re: Message API Status)

From: Thomas Roessler [mailto:tlr@w3.org]
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 4:40 AM
To: Suresh Chitturi
Cc: Thomas Roessler; Robin Berjon; María Ángeles Oteo; Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com; public-device-apis@w3.org
Subject: Re: Review: browser use case; e-mail compatibility? (Re: Message API Status)

On 18 Aug 2010, at 16:09, Suresh Chitturi wrote:

> Robin, all,
>
> I would be generally cautious with this approach with different flavors of email implementations. Here are a couple of (broad) initial concerns:
>
> - Binding the API to a specific RFC will cause implementations to translate the headers to their own implementation

> - Will require developers to do all the formatting to the according to the RFC (besides typed approach is preferred in a API over a typed approach)

I don't understand what this means.  RFC 5822 is the current standard for e-mail.

The choice I suggested was to model things in terms of that standard.

Robin suggested to use plain strings and leave parsing of e-mail headers to Web Applications. I think that that's probably a bad idea -- I'd be happy if implementations of the API got this right, and I'm nervous about web applications doing so.

Suresh>> Sorry for not being clear. My worry is also on using a plain string approach for parsing all the headers as opposed to a more granular user/developer friendly API similar to our current draft. Regarding modeling, I don't see it as a problem if we want to be compatible with the RFC as much as possible while trying to keeping it at a reasonable size.

I think you mean RFC 5322? I don't see many hits with 5822 on the web.

Suresh