Re: HTML Media Capture draft from Device APIs and Policy Working Group

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 15:41:54 +0200
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>, "public-device-apis@w3.org" <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Le jeudi 22 juillet 2010 à 09:30 -0700, Jonas Sicking a écrit :
> > So, you're suggesting an asynchronous MediaFile.getFormatData() rather
> > than the MediaFile.format attribute? I can see the value of not loading
> > up data into memory ever time, but this will make access to these data
> > rather more painful for developers; that may be an acceptable price to
> > pay.
>
> Indeed. Asynch APIs are definitely more painful to use. However
> authors usually also care about performance, so slow performing UAs
> are also painful them.

I've now updated the spec to use an asynchronous accessor, see:
http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/camera/#methods

It currently offers an error callback with two possible error code
(unknown and timeout); feedback on whether this is useful at all, and
what other error codes would be relevant would be welcome.