W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-device-apis@w3.org > October 2009

Draft minutes, 2009-10-28

From: Frederick Hirsch <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 11:01:41 -0400
Message-Id: <F3B8AD77-BC02-4C57-8E37-077462458434@nokia.com>
To: W3C Device APIs and Policy WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Cc: Frederick Hirsch <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>
Draft minutes from 2009-10-28

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Nokia



# Device APIs and Policy Working Group Teleconference

## 28 Oct 2009

[Agenda][3]

See also: [IRC log][4]

## Attendees

Present

    Marco_Marengo, Arve_Bersvendsen, Frederick_Hirsch, Robin_Berjon,
Max_Froumentin, Ilkka_Oksanen, Dzung_Tran, Brian_Leroux, Anssi_Kostiainen,
Dominique_Hazael_Massieux, Jere_Kapyaho, Marcin_Hanclik, Richard_Tibbett,
Niklas_Widell

Regrets

    Paddy_Byers, Kangchan_Lee, WonSuk_Lee

Chair

    Robin Berjon, Frederick Hirsch

Scribe

    Brian LeRoux

## Contents

  * [Topics][5]

    1. [Welcome, etc. TPAC f2f needs the mailing list to raise as much as
possible][6]

    2. [minutes approval][7]

    3. [Editorial Team Report][8]

    4. [Policy][9]

    5. [APIs][10]

    6. [Other Business][11]

  * [Summary of Action Items][12]

* * *

<trackbot> Date: 28 October 2009

<fhirsch> **ACTION:** paddy to review Policy Requirements editors draft, see
[http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/policy-reqs/][13] [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2009/10/28-dap-irc][4]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-34 - Review Policy Requirements editors draft, see
[http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/policy-reqs/][13] [on Paddy Byers - due
2009-11-04].

<maxf> fhirsch: you didn't hear me then. Hmm

<maxf> that mute button...

<brianleroux> Brian LeRoux is in the 604

<arve> zarkim, marcos/arve is arve

<fhirsch> me zakim, who is here?

<brianleroux> ah, ok --- thx fhirsch

<darobin> arve, can you scribe?

<arve> Having tech problems here

<darobin> brianleroux, can you scribe?

<brianleroux> hey sorry --- just back

<brianleroux> heh

<darobin> Scribe: Brian LeRoux

<dom> ScribeNick: brianleroux

<fhirsch> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/wiki/Main_Page][14]

<fhirsch> tpac agenda

<fhirsch>
[http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/wiki/F2F_Agenda_2-3_November_2009%2C_TPAC][15]

### Welcome, etc. TPAC f2f needs the mailing list to raise as much as possible

### minutes approval

<fhirsch> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2009Oct/att-0203/minutes-2009-10-21.html][16]

Resolution: minutes from 21 oct approved

### Editorial Team Report

<fhirsch> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2009Oct/0225.html][17] (Frederick)

<fhirsch> policy requirements update

<fhirsch> contacts api update

<dom> [Update to contacts API from Richard][18]

<fhirsch> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2009Oct/0230.html][19] (Richard Tibbett)

richard: discussing how contacts api going async

<arve> +1 for flexible

<maxf> richard: main issue is strict or flexible definition of attributes.
Also error handling

richard: mentioned that the attributes for contacts have three potential
approaches that need resolving

maxf: no! thank you!!

dom: will be discussing api overlap at the f2f

<dom> [Dom’s message to geolocation wg][20]

<maxf> yep, Mon/Tue

robin: will ensure they have the meetings in the hallways / nothing formal

<darobin> I confirm that they're meeting at the same time as us

<darobin> **ACTION:** Robin to make sure that there is some co-ordination
between Geolocation and DAP over Compass [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2009/10/28-dap-irc][4]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-35 - Make sure that there is some co-ordination
between Geolocation and DAP over Compass [on Robin Berjon - due 2009-11-04].

<maxf> maxf: I'm in Geolocation and will attend their meeting and will be
conveying this group's ideas

<fhirsch> dzung notes he was going to take compass out of the draft, so that
can be given to the geolocation group

<scribe> **ACTION:** Dzung_tran will remove compass from the draft for the
geolocaiton group [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2009/10/28-dap-irc][4]]

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - Dzung_tran

<fhirsch> **ACTION:** dzung to take compass api out of system info api as a
separate api document, to share with geolocation [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2009/10/28-dap-irc][4]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-36 - Take compass api out of system info api as a
separate api document, to share with geolocation [on Dzung Tran - due
2009-11-04].

<darobin> **ACTION:** Dzung to split Compass out of SysInfo so that
Geolocation can look at it, and adopt if they like it [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2009/10/28-dap-irc][4]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-37 - Split Compass out of SysInfo so that
Geolocation can look at it, and adopt if they like it [on Dzung Tran - due
2009-11-04].

<fhirsch> action-36 closed

<trackbot> ACTION-36 Take compass api out of system info api as a separate api
document, to share with geolocation closed

### Policy

fhirsch: wants us to discuss a roadmap, review req's and security

<fhirsch> policy requirements draft

<fhirsch> [http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/policy-reqs/][13]

fhirsch: pls review policy requirements (should be declarative, etc)

... features vs capabilities and trust models, granularity of security,
notification dialogues

... wants feedback on the policy-reqs doc on the mailing list after review.
aim for a editors draft at the f2f.

<fhirsch> may decide on FPWD

<darobin> ack

<fhirsch> seeking agreement of WG on editors draft content

<fhirsch> this first draft is to get us started, but does not represent
consensus

bryan: feels that we need to get a sense of consensus before publishing a
working draft

<fhirsch> would like to get to state where draft does represent consensus, and
changes are made based on consensus

<fhirsch> please review the policy requiements draft before the f2f, discuss
on list, including issues noted and gaps

<fhirsch> we need to decide how to fulfill the roadmap deliverable of the
charter, f2f discussion?

<fhirsch> I noted that API docs probably should have security considerations
and privacy considerations

<fhirsch> contacts api has place holder for this

richt: has put a placeholder in Contacts related to security

... ppl need to be aware that each API requires different security
requirements

<Dzung_Tran> I agree

<inserted> ScribeNick: darobin

arve: agreed, each API may be implemented separately

... so each needs its own security considerations

<brianleroux> yes

<dom> ACTION-31?

<trackbot> ACTION-31 -- stephen lewontin to share information on conditional
permissions on list -- due 2009-10-28 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/31][21]

### APIs

<brianleroux> review progress on req docs and issues

<brianleroux> bryan: travelling through time, feels that the register protocol
handler in html5 is specific to websites / not widgets / not related to the
scope

<brianleroux> robin: handler can register itself for a protocal (which can be
a web app)

<brianleroux> robin: do you mean something that does not have a url? bryan:
essentially yes --- looking for an explanation have how we can use this
feature in this context (the context of a widget on a device)

<brianleroux> bryan: conceptually addressed by html5 robin: needs more
thinking to make it work for widgets

<brianleroux> robin: going to elaborate on the protocol handlers discussion as
it relates to widgets

<brianleroux> essentially the URI is an internal representation to the widget
only not able to register outside of its own context

<brianleroux> interesting thought that a widget could be addressable
externally

<brianleroux> arve: content servers within widgets creates its own unique set
of problems/opportunities

<brianleroux> well then

<brianleroux> =)

<brianleroux> bryan: reviewing the gaps between DAP and BONDI

<brianleroux> robin: wonders if anyone has anything about other APIs than
Contacts and System?

<brianleroux> sorry,

<brianleroux> bryan: question about the Camera API --- feels recording from
the microphone is vital

<brianleroux> robin: so if it can do pictures, video ... why not sound (it is
an issue). makes it more of a capture api

<brianleroux> robin: the issue regarding recording should be resolved at f2f

<brianleroux> (ftr brianleroux +1 to Capture API)

<AnssiK> sysinfo and events is fairly extensive, do we still want to
modularize it?

<Dzung_Tran> I think it makes sense to separate into AV recording

<AnssiK> ok, sounds like a plan

### Other Business

<brianleroux> Meeting adjourned!

## Summary of Action Items

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** Dzung to split Compass out of SysInfo so that
Geolocation can look at it, and adopt if they like it [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2009/10/28-dap-irc][4]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** dzung to take compass api out of system info api as a
separate api document, to share with geolocation [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2009/10/28-dap-irc][4]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** Dzung_tran will remove compass from the draft for the
geolocaiton group [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2009/10/28-dap-irc][4]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** paddy to review Policy Requirements editors draft, see
[http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/policy-reqs/][13] [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2009/10/28-dap-irc][4]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** Robin to make sure that there is some co-ordination
between Geolocation and DAP over Compass [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2009/10/28-dap-irc][4]]


[End of minutes]

* * *

Minutes formatted by David Booth's [scribe.perl][22] version 1.135 ([CVS
log][23])

$Date: 2009-03-02 03:52:20 $

   [1]: http://www.w3.org/Icons/w3c_home

   [2]: http://www.w3.org/

   [3]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2009Oct/0231.html

   [4]: http://www.w3.org/2009/10/28-dap-irc

   [5]: #agenda

   [6]: #item01

   [7]: #item02

   [8]: #item03

   [9]: #item04

   [10]: #item05

   [11]: #item06

   [12]: #ActionSummary

   [13]: http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/policy-reqs/

   [14]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/wiki/Main_Page

   [15]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/wiki/F2F_Agenda_2-3_November_2009%2C_TPAC

   [16]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2009Oct/att-0203/minutes-2009-10-21.html

   [17]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2009Oct/0225.html

   [18]: http://www.w3.org/mid/355A518BC0575547B2A3D6773AAF8EEF598402@ftrdmel1

   [19]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2009Oct/0230.html

   [20]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-
geolocation/2009Oct/0004.html

   [21]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/31

   [22]: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm

   [23]: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/



Received on Wednesday, 28 October 2009 15:02:37 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 23 October 2017 14:53:39 UTC