Re: ISSUE-7: Gathering requirements [Calendar API]

From: Andrew McMillan <andrew@morphoss.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 00:09:08 +1300
To: marcosc@opera.com
Cc: richard.tibbett@orange-ftgroup.com, public-device-apis@w3.org
On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 12:11 +0200, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 5:27 PM,  <richard.tibbett@orange-ftgroup.com> wrote:
> > Hi Andrew,
> >
> > Getting back to you on this my belief is that a Calendar API will
> > execute over locally held resources (a calendar on the device) rather
> > than against a remote server-based calendaring service. A lot of your
> > proposed requirements address interaction with a remote service.
> >

> Would it not make more sense to have a hybrid approach? Personally, I
> think it should be a requirement that this be implementable in such a
> way that it could interact with a remote service and a calendar on a
> device.

I think that a client which has remote calendars should really be
interacting with local calendars in the first instance, as it is
necessary to operate disconnectedly (e.g. updating my schedule while I
am in transit in an aeroplane).

However perhaps the API should also take into account the needs of a
synchronisation client, as well as the needs of the user-facing client.

Regards,
					Andrew McMillan.

http://andrew.mcmillan.net.nz/                     Porirua, New Zealand
Twitter: _karora                                  Phone: +64(272)DEBIAN
        Someone whom you reject today, will reject you tomorrow.