RE: DAP and security (was: Rename "File API" to "FileReader API"?)

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the report!

>>This model generally does not work on the Web.
What about: “This model generally have not yet worked on the Web”?
Maybe we do not know.
Let’s assume I am an advanced user and I want to create a system that allows me to write to arbitrary files and dirs on my PC from the web page, e.g. a walled garden solution.
Then I can either take Fx sources, add the APIs, compile and use it, or take binary Fx as is, configure the policy and use it.

Taking the analogy to the OneWeb principle [1] (I found that there is also OneWeb™) we specify the general security concerns, but their handling would be different in various environments (e.g. based on applied policies).

>>Forcing users to make decisions they do not want to make or cannot make is a failure.
I am not sure whether anyone is forcing the user.
The policy may be such that it prompts the user (forces her/him) or it may enable/disable the functionality.
If the user does not want to make the decision, then she/he will not re-configure the browser.

I think that the API (file walking) selected as the initial example is quite unfortunate.
We may really want to disable access to some parts of the file system, for all (the policy could say that “C:\Windows\*” is not writable at all).
To overcome this, we may focus on gallery API that could be a selected area within a file system.
Then the policy is less about enabling something critical (access to “C:\Windows\System”) and more about limiting access to something what we could think is generally available.
Let’s take another example then: Bluetooth API.
Some people may want it to be accessible always and the others would like to limit that (for any reason).

>>There are usually no third parties to delegate to.
I have an impression that mobile operators and vendors (i.e. those who want to write the actual policies) are eager to take the responsibility.
But I cannot speak for them.

Thanks,
Marcin

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/mobile-bp/#OneWeb

Marcin Hanclik
ACCESS Systems Germany GmbH
Tel: +49-208-8290-6452  |  Fax: +49-208-8290-6465