Re: Use Cases and Requirements for Saving Files Securely

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:59:04 +0100, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

> Like I said, I think this might be possible to work around in the
> implementation by making sure to neuter all executable files before
> they go to disk.

I'm not sure it's possible to make complete workarounds. In the idealized
case, Linux depends on the execute being set.  Many desktop users will
have wine installed, though, in which case the wine program loader will
pick up and execute the file, regardless of any extension.

(It can of course be argued that this is a fundamental problem of how wine
is set up to integrate with the OS)
--
Arve Bersvendsen