Re: Introductions

Hello DAP folk,

since Robin has kindly asked us all to introduce ourselves, here goes:

I'm Jere Käpyaho from Nokia Corporation (the Devices R&D unit). I hope to
make a solid contribution to the standardization of APIs for web
applications, making them useful for developers all over the world. My
employer also likes the idea [1].

Since the home computer days of early 1980's I've gone from learning UNIX at
the university, via the birth of the Web and the launch of Linux, to the
dotcom boom and bust. I covered a lot of that as a freelance IT journalist.
I have an M.Sc. degree in User Interface Software Development from the
University of Tampere, Finland [2].

I joined Nokia in the year 2000 (given that all the computers of the world
didn't crash then :-)). Among other things, I've worked with Java ME in the
Java Community Process, both as Spec Lead and Expert Group member [3]. A few
of years ago I came full circle, back to the web full-time, and it seems to
have done nicely in the meantime. Now I've participated in the W3C WebApps
working group since October 2008, and helped a bit with the Widgets specs.
I'm a stickler for valid markup, I18N [4], and good API design [5].

I started writing code 25 years ago and still want to, and like to, do it.
Hardware and software come and go, and if you like, we can trade ancient or
modern computing folklore over tasty beverages. Most of all, though, I love
music [6].

Thanks to everyone involved for taking on this work. Let's make it hang
together real well.

--Jere

[1]
http://www.forum.nokia.com/Technology_Topics/Web_Technologies/Web_Runtime/
[2] http://www.cs.uta.fi/research/theses/masters/Kapyaho_Jere.pdf
[3] http://jcp.org/en/press/news/specLeadStars/commFocus_stars_kapyaho
[4] http://www.w3.org/International/
[5] http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1176622
[6] http://kapyaho.info/music/

On 25.8.2009 17.01, "ext Robin Berjon" <robin@robineko.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the working group now has sufficient members that we can safely assume
> that most if not all of the core participants that will contribute to
> it over its lifetime are present here. I would therefore like to ask
> everyone on the list < especially W3C participants but also members of
> the public < to introduce themselves. I'll start with myself.
[and so he did]