Re: Camera API proposal

On Aug 7, 2009, at 19:11 , Brad Lassey wrote:
> On 8/7/2009 11:09 AM, Marcos Caceres wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Max Froumentin<maxfro@opera.com>
>> wrote:
>>> As annevk says in the comments of that page, an interesting
>>> alternative is
>>> to use a form item, like<input type=file accept="image/*"/>
>>> combined with
>>> FileUpload to access the uploaded file's content.
>>> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileUpload/publish/FileUpload.html
>>>
>> Yes, see also:
>> http://blog.mozilla.com/blassey/2008/09/23/camera-input-tag/
>> http://ajaxian.com/archives/input-camera
>>
> If we do standardize on a Javascript API, I think it should provide
> some mechanism for doing a live video preview of the camera.
> Perhaps by passing in the id of a video element.

It would certainly be useful, and may tie in to the discussions there
have been around FileUpload being about to return some form of live
URL that can temporarily point to the data.

In general this is the sort of situation in which I prefer to have
both an API and a markup option (which it probably isn't up to this WG
to standardise). Brad: since you implemented that using markup, can
you give us a feel for what you'd need from a JS API to do the same
(apart from a way of displaying the viewfinder)?

It's possible to do without hooking into a video element — or an image
element, the way the Nokia proposal does [0] — e.g. by positioning a
viewfinder à la BONDI [1]. But tying into an element has the advantage
that the output can be reused and composited.

[0] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2009Apr/att-0001/camera.html
[1] http://bondi.omtp.org/apis-current/classorg_1_1omtp_1_1bondi_1_1camera_1_1_camera.html#f0bb16c0da468c0c1fbc759cce2ec6d0

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/