Re: API for sensor data: compass, proximity, thermometer, ambient light, etc

Hi Rob,

sorry for taking a while to get back to you, I was on vacation.

On Aug 15, 2009, at 02:18 , Ennals, Robert wrote:
> We’ve been working internally on API’s to allow web applications to
> access sensor information on mobile devices such as compass
> direction, proximity, thermometer, ambient light, accelerometer etc.
>
> Do such APIs fall within the charter of this working group? (my
> guess is yes, but I’m not sure)

You can see our charter at:

   http://www.w3.org/2009/05/DeviceAPICharter.html

I would expect that these *may* fit under the "System Information and
Events API". I would like more information about your requirements
(posting a link to your APIs would be useful too) before I can give
you a more definitive answer.

Do you think for instance that that information could be channelled
through something that would look like BONDI's Device Status API:

   http://bondi.omtp.org/apis-current/namespaceorg_1_1omtp_1_1bondi_1_1devicestatus.html

That API allows one to list which aspects of a device can be observed,
and then to set callbacks that can track the updates.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/