From: public-ar-request@w3.org [mailto:public-ar-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Blair MacIntyre
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2011 10:24 PM
To: roBman@mob-labs.com
Cc: Philipp Slusallek; public-poiwg@w3.org; public-declarative3d@w3.org; discussion@arstandards.org; public-ar@w3.org
Subject: Re: [AR Standards Discussion] Getting started with the W3C AR Community Group

I'll strongly +1 this, too.

As an example, our reason for developing Argon is that we can't do what we need in a mobile AR browser yet;  but, our long term goal (since we are building on WebKit with custom javascript APIs) would be to have as much as possible of what we are doing folded into something like Webkit.  Now, there are also things we will do in Argon that won't be possible in a browser (given the current browser models), but even those will (hopefully) eventually make it into standard browsers.

I think it's important to contextualize AR as "just one way of displaying information" that an app or website may want to leverage;  there shouldn't be "AR apps".  This can only happen when it's possible to create AR views and modes easily using the platforms and tools that are used for the other parts of the applications.

Just as there are web-based applications, and native applications, so will there be AR modes for both of those architecture choices.