Re: Open source release of "Stralo", a new Linked Data platform

On 18 October 2017 at 17:46, Bram Biesbrouck <bram.biesbrouck@reinvention.be
> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 5:11 PM, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>

>> On 18 October 2017 at 16:50, Bram Biesbrouck <
>> bram.biesbrouck@reinvention.be> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm new to this mailing list, so please allow me to say hi to everyone
>>> reading this. I'm Bram, a Belgian developer and (small) business owner,
>>> fascinated by Linked Data.
>>>
>>> I'm reaching out to you because we have just released a new Linked Data
>>> software suite called "Stralo" as open source to Github and we're dying to
>>> get some feedback on it. We've been developing Stralo for the last 2-3
>>> years, so it's quite extensive, but "we" is only three people, so don't
>>> expect it to be polished, shiny and shimmering just yet.
>>>
>>> Stralo is build on a few central paradigms. It has native support for
>>> advanced back-end functionalities like Distributed Storage (HDFS), Big
>>> Data/Grid Computing (Hadoop/JPPF), Computer Vision and Artificial
>>> Intelligence (JavaCPP, OpenCV, Tesseract, ...). But on the other hand, we
>>> managed to hide all that complexity away by inventing a new UI, more or
>>> less based on Lego and Webcomponents. Also, everything is stored in a
>>> Triple Store so Stralo has RDF baked into it's DNA.
>>>
>>> We'd love to see Stralo grow, be tried out and picked at by other
>>> developers. The code was released under a commercial-friendly license
>>> (Apache2). It's business model is as open as possible, with sponsored
>>> coding sprints, support and training sessions, so we, together with others,
>>> have the means to promote it and make it bigger and better.
>>>
>>> *Stralo is new and we're in the process of introducing it to the
>>> community. It would be very cool if you could take a look at www.stralo.com
>>> <http://www.stralo.com/> and spread the word together with us (**blog/tweet/post
>>> about it or just forward this mail**), so other interested parties find
>>> their way to this new project.*
>>>

>> Looks very cool!
>>
>> I'm interested in running video on the solid platform [1]
>>
>> It also uses linked data and I have added basic support for byte ranges
>> so that you can seek within a video file
>>
>> Do you see any synergies or possibilities to interop between the two
>> systems?
>>
>> One thing I'd like to develop is video playlists, and a viewer and
>> ontology for that, for example.
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/solid/solid
>>

> Hi Melvin,
>
> I don't have any experience with Solid (in fact, this is my first
> encounter), but we sure have built in video support in Stralo. As a matter
> of fact, the Belgian Royal Film Archive (www.cinematek.be) is one of our
> main sponsors and we'll switch their collection to Stralo by the end of
> this year, including support for embedded video. So there might be an
> overlap with Solid indeed.
>
> Could you describe Solid in a nutshell?

Sure!

Slides: https://solid.github.io/intro-to-solid-slides/#1

It basically allows you to store data on your own server, or one provided
by a hoster.

You can store any type of data or media, but it treats linked data as a
first class citizen.

It also offers permissions, so that storage can be private, shared or
public.

My use case wrt to video is to watch my own archive (a few TB) at home or
remotely, and able to share that with family etc.