RE: Core Vocabulary round 2 reminder

A note on terminology: For mobile phones, vendor is typically the maker
(OEM) of a device (e.g. Nokia, Motorola). The Operator or retail outlet
that sells the device is a reseller. Sometimes phones are branded by
other than the OEM, and are known by the branded name, but nonetheless
they can be viewed as unique devices from a content provider view.

We have used vendor and model as a prefix to User Agent strings for
years, and it has proven to be a very reliable approach to helping our
content partners ensure that they can deterministically identify the
device in use, at least for the devices we purchase from vendors and
resell, which comply to our user agent header formatting requirements:
"The first white space delimited word must be the product name (vendor
and model) with a slash and mandatory firmware version designator (e.g.
BrandX-G4000/V3.1.a[Build3] or BrandY75-E/1.1). Other attributes may be
put as separate words following the product and version."

The potential for ambibuity and non-compliance always exists. But a
successul/scalable approach (we have launched many dozens of phones
using this approach) is not diminished by exceptions.

I recommend that the device vendor and model be represented as distinct
attributes in the vocabulary.

Best regards,
Bryan Sullivan | AT&T | Service Standards
bryan.sullivan@att.com