RE: [API] Are we going to need some bootstrapping mechanism for the DDR-API?

Alternatively, we declare the manner in which an implementation discovers and binds to a DDR API compliant interface is out of scope of the API and therefore implementation dependent.

I'm not in favour of putting any more into the DDR's core API than is absolutely necessary. That includes life-cycle management. These things are generally done quite well in the various programming languages and frameworks. However, it might be useful for the API to have at least one inspection method in order to be able to check what it is that one has bound to. A simple Version() or getFeatureList() method might suffice. That should be enough for an external solution to discover and bind to the right implementation of the API.

---Rotan

From: public-ddwg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-ddwg-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of José Manuel Cantera Fonseca
Sent: 01 October 2007 10:23
To: public-ddwg@w3.org
Subject: [API] Are we going to need some bootstrapping mechanism for the DDR-API?

Hi,

I have been thinking about this issue for a long time. Perhaps something similar to the DOM bootstrapping mechanism proposed in [1] (and its Java binding [2]) could be valuable also for the DDR API.

What do you think?

Best Regards

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Core/core.html#Bootstrap
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Core/java-binding.html