RE: Meeting Summary - 26 March 2007

Hi Kevin

Since the lid seems to have been taken off Pandora's box again, and at risk of a collective groan from the DDWG members who thought they had nailed it down, here are some further thoughts.

One of the things we have been trying to do is to work within the framework of the DI Glossary, because inventing our own slightly different glossary would not seem to be warranted or desirable. Another thing we have been trying to do is to make sure that the fruits of our labour are not limited to the context that the DI Glossary pre-supposes (i.e. there is a richer set of meanings of device description, which we'd like to be useful for, than would be presupposed by limiting ourselves to that context). Those factors, together with the nature of the discussion of the list led us - imo - to a somewhat backwards definition.

So much for history.

I agree that instantiation is a good route to understanding, however, I (like Rotan) can't wholly buy into your proposed wording because as I see it we place equal priority on our specific charter objectives, which relate both to Web browsing, as well as relating to being extensible to other activities.

I do agree with you (and with Rotan) that elaboration of the nature of the types of value is distracting in the place in which it currently occurs. Though there were reasons for including this, which we need not revisit.

So how about this:

A device is something that is useful for carrying out some prescribed set of activities in some prescribed circumstances.

A context is a formal definition of the activities and the circumstances in which they are to be carried out.

A device description is a formal definition of named attributes and their permissible values in some prescribed context. The attributes chosen to form a device description are descriptive of features that are relevant to the context.

The permissible values for an attribute may take the form of lists, ranges or other patterns.

For the DDWG a device is as defined in the DI Delivery Context [def] but with the restriction that it is normally used away from fixed locations and is manufactured specifically to be portable and usable while being moved [from the charter].

Analogy:

A knife is a device that is useful for cutting. [DI definition of device]

A cooking knife is a device that is useful for cutting in the course of preparing food. [DDWG definition of device]

A table knife is a device that is useful for cutting prepared food in the course of eating it. [Someone else's definition of knife]

The device description for a cooking knife would include attributes describing, among other things, whether it is serrated or not, its length, whether the blade has a return from the handle making it suitable for chopping, the material from which the blade is composed, the material from which the handle is composed, the means of attachment of the blade to the handle, whether it is sharp ...

The device description for a table knife shares many of the properties of a cooking knife (because, after all, they are both knives). It's unlikely to contain attributes describing whether it's useful for chopping or not. The description of the serrations is likely to be different too, since table knives with serrations are usually used for cutting meat (steak knives) whereas cooking knives with large coarse serrations are used for cutting bread whereas those with small fine serrations are meant for cutting tomatoes.

Time for lunch.
Jo