From: public-ddwg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-ddwg-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Christian Timmerer (ITEC)
Sent: 06 March 2007 09:10
To: 'Michael(tm) Smith'; public-ddwg@w3.org
Cc: 'Rotan Hanrahan'; 'Cedric Kiss'; christian.timmerer@itec.uni-klu.ac.at
Subject: RE: Meeting Summary - 05 March 2007

Dear Michael,

> Definition of "Device Description"
>   - We have agreement that we can't start building an ontology
>     until we have a common understanding of "device description"
>
>   - We seem to have agreement about the need to make the
>     definition of "device description" more generic than just
>     being limited to the delivery of a web page, but instead to
>     any aspect, but with the DDWG as a group focusing on the
>     specific aspect that has to do with adaptation.
>
>   RESOLVED: Do one more iteration on a proposal what is meant by
>   "device" and "device description" and send out for public
>   discussion by end of this week.
[Christian Timmerer (ITEC)] From my point of view the current definition of device [1] is limited to end user devices. I'm wondering whether DDWG will extend this definition to any apparatus along the delivery path that serves the overall aim of device independence. I know there exists terms like proxy or gateway but there is a need for describing them as well, e.g., for adaptation purposes.

I'm looking forward to the proposal by the end of this week.

Thank you.
Best regards,
 -Christian

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/di-gloss/