Re: Comments on Device Description Repository Requirements 1.0

On 5/4/06, Luca Passani <luca.passani@openwave.com> wrote:

> > c) "The Device Vendor develops, manages (e.g. updates existing device
> > profiles when devices are upgraded)". That's interesting.  I
> > understood that in the past, device vendrors have nor always been
> > forthcoming with such information.  Will the DDR only use vendor
> > data, or possibly third party data?  Clearly vendor data makes more
> > sense, so long as it is provided.  Presumably the DDR architecture is
> > not affected by this choice.
>
> The way it works today (and this applies to both commercial DDR vendors and
> open-source efforts) is that UAProf profiles (provided by device vendors)
> are the main source of device information. In addition to UAprof, DDR data
> is enriched with information coming from all kind of different sources:
> proprietary test suites, published documentation, anecdotal evidence, and
> even "inheritance" (for ex, a device from this or that vendor will probably
> support this or that format).
> DDR typically fix erroneous UAProf data *and* add data of their own which
> are not contemplated by UAProf.

I would like add that Use-case 5 "Using device descriptions from both
a public and a private repository" describes how a content provider
could use more than one repository at a time. This means that
different repositories will have different information ranging from
the screen size to the usability of the keyboard and anything that a
developer might need.
Requirements that should be referred to this are for example:
- DDR-SYS-SCALABILITY
- DDR-SYS-EXTENSIBILITY
- DDR-SYS-AUTHORIZATION

The former 2 requirements say that the project should be scalable
(also in reply to your initial concerns) and extensible, that means
that the vendor might provide information about screen size, display,
keyboard and CPU, but then other companies (or open-source
initiatives) might provide additional information that will enrich the
available data.
The last requirement that I named is particularly important in this
case as it requires that the DDR is able to allow different users have
different access rights. This might allow different DDR's to
communicate and exchange data and maybe create local caches that are
the result of the merger of different information from different
sources.
I know that I am introducing a big topic in just a few lines, but this
might get into a really big discussion as we already had in the group,
because we know that this is a very important topic.

Kind Regards,
    Andrea Trasatti

--
Andrea Trasatti