RE: Supported image types

The information maintained in our commercial adaptation solution is far more complex than the simple suggestion indicated, out of necessity. I therefore have similar concerns. However, I note that the property is "supported image types" and thus appears to suggest a high-level view of what is supported, rather than a deep description of support constraints (e.g. animation, multiple layers, alpha channels etc etc). For the most basic of content adaptation it may be enough just to know if you can use GIF or JPEG, so I'd describe that as "core knowledge". Making sure you choose the right colour combinations, depth, compression etc is a level of detail beyond just basic adaptation, so I'd question if this is core.

---Rotan

________________________________

From: public-ddr-vocab-request@w3.org on behalf of Andrea Trasatti
Sent: Fri 13/07/2007 21:28
To: public-ddr-vocab@w3.org
Subject: Supported image types

There was a submission about Supported Image Types [1].

I totally support the idea of a list of supported media formats and
images are certainly on top of the list.

I disagree on the suggested type, which reads:"The property is an
unordered set of strings". I would rather suggest a list of
properties for every image type and subtype and use a boolean type.
This should be managed much more easily by developers and adaptation
softwares. I suspect that an unordered list (as suggested in the
Measurement field) will result in a long list hardly understandable,
I cannot imaging how sub-properties such as the loop function in an
animated GIF will be described in such a list, mixed with compression
factors, transparency and so on.

Everyone knows how this is managed in WURFL (exactly as I suggest),
but I'd be curious to know how commercial products manage this, if
you can share it.

Andrea Trasatti

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/DDWG/wiki/
CoreVocabularySubmissions#head-611f3832c41c44c8cedaa35cb98b1fc7ca1f393c