Re: SHACL Compact Syntax, was Re: Fwd: Transition Request: 3 FPWGNOTE documents

The mandate to produce the compact syntax is separate from the decision to use ShEx as input or to align with ShEx. The mandate was at a level of a requirement - the WG should produce it.

The desire to re-use ShEx in this undertaking was understandable, but it is at the next level, which is what would be the best way to satisfy the requirement in the charter.

I believe the original alignment plan assumed some changes in ShEx so that the syntax could work with SHACL - just like all the other inputs to the WG were changed in order to create SHACL. Without such changes in ShEx, I do not see how ShEx syntax could become a compact syntax for SHACL.

As things stand now, I agree that it is easy to show a compatible subset, but, as you say, it would be very limited. Basically, only ShEx shapes that do not use disjunctions (or anything with any level of complexity) will be compatible and they will have to explicitly state cardinalities. This small subset would not be enough to satisfy even some very basic use cases. Given the limited nature of supported use cases, the RDF syntax for such shapes would be relatively compact as well. So, it is hard to see any value in this.

Further, the ShEx syntax would need to be extended to support targets, imports, address differences in the treatment of CLOSED, etc., etc.

Given this, I think the WG did the only thing possible - used ShEx as an input that represents what type of compact syntax could satisfy the requirement.

I also agree with Tom Baker that we need to make sure that it is clear to users that something is SHACL shape and not a ShEx shape. In fact, I brought this up in a meeting a couple of months ago when the compact syntax was discussed. There were a number of differences already, but I thought we needed something more “pervasive”. Holger’s recent change of the separator accomplishes this.