Best,
Dimitris

Typed by thumb. Please forgive brevity, errors.

On May 24, 2017 9:28 PM, "simon.steyskal" <simon.steyskal@wu.ac.at> wrote:

Hi!

I second that. Trying to get our own compact syntax published now will
cause more harm than good.

br simon

(sorry for missing out on today's call.. I've totally forgotten about it)

-------- Original message --------
From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: 5/24/17 20:17 (GMT+01:00)
To: Irene Polikoff <irene@topquadrant.com>, Data Shapes WG <
public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org>
Cc: Ralph Hodgson <rhodgson@topquadrant.com>
Subject: SHACL Compact Syntax, was Re: Fwd: Transition Request: 3 FPWGNOTE
documents

Tom's email, to which Irene is replying, was send to a W3C Member
Confidential mailing list (chairs@w3.org).  She accidentally included it in
her reply, perhaps not knowing the list's confidentiality (which is not
obvious).   Here's my to reply to that list, which bears on this this group:

My sincere apologies, Tom.  You mentioned this concern to me earlier, and
then I completely forgot about it in the flurry of documents.  That was a
serious error on my part.

I agree, it's a very bad architectural practice to design languages such
that a non-trivial document could be syntactically valid in multiple
languages while having different semantics.   We pretty much only see this
in a few notoriously bad situations, like "1/2/2017" being either
2017-01-02 or 2017-02-01, depending on the locale.

I suggest the Data Shapes Working Group withdraw its decision to publish
this (or the Director not approve it), and instead delegate to an expected
new SHACL CG to figure out a way to make the syntax disjoint from ShExC in
at least the cases where the semantics are distinct, [then] publish it as a
CG Report, much like ShExC, instead of a WG Note (since the WG will
presumably have expired by then).

Does that sound like a reasonably path forward?

I guess another option would be to make a trivial change to the syntax
(before next week) to make it disjoint, but I believe the community would
be far better served by having the syntax be the same in places where the
semantics are the same.  If that's possible, it seems worthwhile to take
the time in a CG to figure that out in concert with ShEx folks.

Thoughts?

      -- Sandro