Re: shapes-ISSUE-188 (define validation): "Validation" needs to be defined

Hi Karen,

the current snapshot defines the term "validation" in the beginning of
section 3:

The definition forvalidatingadata graph <#dfn-data-graph>against ashapes
graph <#dfn-shapes-graph>as well as anode <#dfn-node>from the data graph
against ashape <#dfn-shape>from the shapes graph is provided below:

VALIDATION DEFINITION

  * Afocus node <#dfn-focus-node>validates against ashape <#dfn-shape>if
    and only if either it does not validate against somefilter
    <#dfn-filter>of the shape or none of theconstraints
    <#dfn-constraint>in the shape produce avalidation result
    <#dfn-validation-results>or afailure <#dfn-failure>for the focus node.
  * Adata graph <#dfn-data-graph>validates against ashape <#dfn-shape>if
    and only if each node that is in any of thetargets <#dfn-target>of
    the shape validates against the shape.
  * Adata graph <#dfn-data-graph>validates against ashapes graph
    <#dfn-shapes-graph>if and only if the data graph validates against
    eachshape <#dfn-shape>in the shapes graph.

I believe this covers the terminology, esp with the different nuances of
validation, e.g. of a focus node. It also correctly identifies failures
as another possible outcome.

Your proposal merely bases validation on another undefined term "obeys
the constraints", which IMHO just shifts the problem. The ultimate
definition may require an elaborated link to the evaluation mechanisms
including SPARQL queries, but Dimitris' prose above clarifies that
eventually it's about not producing any validation results and failures.

What is missing for this ISSUE?

Holger