Re: Decomposing shapes

My reading of the current definition seems to be OK, but then I may have
a different technical viewpoint than many other readers:

Afilteris ashape <#dfn-shape>in theshapes graph <#dfn-shapes-graph>that
further refines thefocus nodes <#dfn-focus-node>in the data graph that
are validated against aconstraint <#dfn-constraint>or all the
constraints of ashape <#dfn-shape>. A filter is specified as an object
in a triple with|sh:filterShape|as the predicate. The subjects of these
triples can be constraints or shapes. Only thosenodes <#dfn-node>that
successfully validate against all the filters of a constraint or a shape
become focus nodes for the constraint or the constraints of the shape.

This doesn't say that being a filter shape excludes any other uses of a
shape. It's just one role among others.

In general I do have concerns about the concept of filter shapes. They
are a nice-to-have syntactic short cut, esp to manipulate existing shape
definitions, but otherwise their effect can be achieved via sh:and
already. The thing that I dislike about filter shapes is that they
introduce a non-monotonic construct where subclasses can have fewer
constraints than superclasses. This makes the whole language quite
unpredictable.

So if people continue to struggle with this feature, I'd be ready to
drop it from the language. sh:filterShape is easy to take out on a short
notice. Having said this, we already use sh:filterShape in practice in
our products.

Holger