From:   Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>
To:     "public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org" <public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org>
Date:   03/31/2016 11:24 AM
Subject:        Re: Issue 93

On 3/31/16 6:22 AM, Jim Amsden wrote:
> Or:
>
> "SHACL is a language for describing information about, and constraints
> on RDF graphs, and a set
> of rules for assessing the conformance of RDF data to those
constraints."

> This includes:
> 1. that shapes can also be used to capture interesting metadata
> 2. that the conformance of a graph to the shapes is assessed and some
> resulting report is provided
> 3. that shapes can apply to any RDF graph, including OWL or RDFS, not
> just instances.

Excellent point. So we should talk about graphs, not instance data.

Also, the "information about" aspect of SHACL seems secondary to me (not
saying that it should be, but it seems to be), so I wouldn't want to put
that first. SHACL does let you annotate the described constraints, but
to me doesn't serve generally as documentation for anything but
constraints. So I would put it:

"SHACL is a language for describing constraints on RDF graphs,
information about those graphs, and a set of rules for assessing the
conformance of RDF data to those constraints."

Are we there yet?
kc

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-data-shapes-wg/2015Sep/0228.html