Re: type and instance and subclass in SHACL documents

I'm not sure SPARQL is needed, but some formal exposition is critical.

The text at the end of 1.1 in the current editor's draft is a start, but I
don't think it's sufficiently formal:

  - it doesn't answer the questions about where these triples must appear
(when in the data graph vs. the shapes graph);
  - it's not necessarily clarifying with respect to the text directly above
it;
  - and it seemingly doesn't apply to all appearances of the defined terms
in the text[0].
    - the most obvious exception being "The RDF Schema vocabulary defines
various terms to model domains in terms of classes and instances.".

To be clear: I think the move to avoid reliance on RDFS semantics in
defining SHACL's behavior is a good one. With significant editorial work, I
think there's a way to make the document communicate the simplifying
effects of this decision precisely and elegantly. It's just not there yet.
I tend to think this effort would be helped by not overloading RDFS
terminology; but forcefully presented definitions followed by consistent
use throughout would serve, too.

In general, I don't think it's sufficient to appeal to the intuitive
meaning of *subclass*, *type* and *instance*. In my understanding, SHACL's
use of these terms is explicitly *not* following from the intuitive
ones--instead being based on the presence of specific triple patterns in
specific graphs.

I think, at this point, I've probably said my piece; I'll leave the rest
for the WG to hammer out. Hopefully this has been helpful.

- Tom

--
-Tom Johnson