Re: type and instance and subclass in SHACL documents

Looks like we are getting closer to a suggested resolution

On Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 12:10 AM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider <
pfpschneider@gmail.com> wrote:

> This discussion was about making the difference between RDFS instance and
> SHACL instance (and similarly for type and subclass) clear.  It is not
> about
> making SHACL change at all.   It is just that RDFS instance (and type and
> subclass) is different from SHACL instance (and type and subclass) and in
> my
> opinion that the difference should be noted every time instance, or type,
> or
> subclass is used in SHACL documents because otherwise there is a very high
> likelihood that readers will come to incorrect conclusions.
>
> As far as an actual editorial change to the document goes, I proposed using
> "SHACL instance" instead of "instance".  Similar changes for type and
> subclass
> are also indicated.  The definitions of the terms are already in the
> document
> and their wording only needs to be tweaked slightly to make them
> definitions
> of SHACL instance and type and subclass.

If we added this at the end of section 1.1., would it be sufficient?
"instance: A node is an instance of a class if one of its types (as defined
above) is the given class." (already there)
"Instances, in terms of the RDFS defintion of instance, will be referred as
"RDFS instance"
or would you still prefer to use instance (for RDFS) and SHACL instance ?

> As far as what changes to SHACL are permissable without going back on
> previous
> resolutions, it looks to me as if SHACL could be changed to use the entire
> RDFS definitions of instance and type and subclass without technically
> violating any resolutions.  Right now SHACL does something about midway
> between nothing and complete RDFS inferencing, so having some RDFS
> inferencing
> can't be violating any resolution.  There are lots of other points in this
> middle that are not complete RDFS inference, and I believe that SHACL does
> not
> need to implement all of RDFS reasoning to abide by RDFS instance and type
> and
> subclass.  This is a very lawyerly argument, but you did ask.

if this is something that doesn't change our resolutions and could work in
e.g. SPARQL endpoints I would be very open to revisit this issue
Should we move this to another thread?

> To understand the difference between the SHACL treatment of type and
> instance
> and subclass and the RDFS treatment of type and instance and subclass I
> suggest reading the RDF Schema 1.1 at https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-schema/.
> This
> document lays out, in an informal setting, how type and instance and
> subclass
> work in RDFS.  It should be easily understandable by anyone in the working
> group.  The normative underpinnings for RDFS are in RDF 1.1 Semantics
> https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-mt/ but I don't think that there is any need
> read this document and I do not know of any differences between the two
> documents that affect the matter at hand.  The SHACL treatment of type and
> instance and subclass has been a matter of discussion in the working group.
> There is a section of Shapes Constraint Language (SHACL),
> http://w3c.github.io/data-shapes/shacl/#shacl-rdfs, that indicates how
> SHACL
> treats instance and subclass (which should also talk about type, by the
> way).

section 1.1 also has a definition for type (not sure when it was added):
"type: The types of a node are the classes that are linked to the node via
rdf:type as well as their superclasses as defined above."